Friday, July 27, 2012

Ecuador 2012 Rachel

Monday, July 23  Rachel
                This morning each of the teams went hard with their work projects. I was on the Bucket Brigade, which means I spent a solid two hours using buckets to bail water out of a ditch. The water was much higher than when another group did the same thing a few days ago because of the massive amounts of rain we got yesterday. The work wasn’t difficult, the only trouble I had was finding solid footing. As we worked we began singing songs. These songs were mostly funny ones that Pastor Scott was making up in a call-and-response fashion. However, one of the interns named Adelle did teach us a new one that only Grant knew. It was called Fill Up My Cup and it was simple and fun to sing. There was both a boys part and a girls part, so everyone got involved. I loved the singing because it was a great way to encourage each other as we poured bucket after bucket of muddy, smelly water into the stream next to the ditch. After we’d cleared most of the water, we moved over to the group next to us who was digging and using the dirt to fill up the large ditch we’d just cleaned out. When we walked over to that group it was awesome to see the massive amounts of progress they’d made that morning. I had been working there two days ago and know personally how much effort it takes to do that job. We were all pouring with sweat not long after joining that group. But when we went in for lunch, it was really incredible to see how much progress we’d made together. Later today we’re going back to Guamani to have VBS and I’m so excited to see the kids again. Yesterday, one of the kids told me they wanted to pray to God and ask for Him to save her, so I really hope I see her again later!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing, Rachel! Thanks everyone for the wonderful, encouraging posts. These are great! It sounds like an amazing trip.

    ReplyDelete